Friday, January 3, 2014

day 3 of 31:PRD'd today

I PRD'd today.  PRD is short for "Personal Retreat Day" and our ministry requires that we take a personal retreat day (PRD) once a month.  So what is a PRD you ask?

It's a day set aside from my usual ministry duties and responsibilities to intentionally spend time with the LORD.  So yes, its a requirement to take time away from "work" and fellowship with the LORD.  How cool is that!  Not only is it a time to renew my heart and draw closer to Jesus, but also to evaluate how I'm doing with my ministry duties.  It's nice to take a step back from what I'm doing each month and evaluate the direction I'm headed.

Even though I know the blessings of a PRD, it's not always easy to take them.  I've learned that unless I set aside a PRD a month in advance, it's very easy to keep working and miss a month or two.  I used to think if I took a day away from "work" then ministry would be lost without me.  I've definitely learned over the years that God can certainly take care of things while I take time away.  He doesn't need me but chooses to use me and has prepared good works for me in advance.

My prayer:
I pray that I never think I'm so important that I can't take time away to spend with the LORD.  I pray that I always take a PRD as regularly as possible no matter where God takes me in the future.
So how often do you take time to intentionally spend with the LORD? Is it easy or hard to set down your responsibilities and trust that Jesus can take care of things while you fellowship with Him?  I pray that you check out your calendar NOW and see when you can schedule your own PRD.  Let me know how it goes!

No comments: