Thursday, January 2, 2014

day 2 of 31: Holding Hands

Yesterday I prayed for God to show me someone that I could connect with so I could learn more about the purpose God had given them.  It was neat to see how God answered that prayer at dinner last night.

On Wednesday nights, we host a gathering at a local BBQ place called Ms. Hyster's.  We invite the homeowners to come out and join the teams for a time of fellowship, good food, and sharing life together.  It wasn't a homeowner I spoke with but a friend of mine who has grown up here in NOLA.  He told me how he feels God has put a desire and passion in his heart for more intentional discipleship of young men and to find ways to encourage them to grow in their walks with the LORD. 

He referenced Exodus 17:8-13 when Moses needed Aaron and Hur to hold his arms up so the Israelites would defeat the Amalekites.  Aaron and Hur didn't try to take Moses's purpose from him, they came to support him in living out his faith.  He sees this is where discipleship comes in to play.  He wants to be a support to the guys in the community to live out the purpose God has given them. 

My prayer:
LORD, I praise you for how you have given my friend a purpose to invest in the young guys here in NOLA.  Thank you for putting that desire in his heart.  LORD I pray that you would give me eyes to see who you would like me to intentionally disciple whether someone here in NOLA or far away.  LORD I pray for someone to intentionally disciple me.
If you are a believer, I encourage you to pray for people you can disciple and to pray for someone to disciple you.  We can't neglect the Great Commission, to go therefore and make disciples, if we truly desire to follow Christ.  I praise God that I've had wonderful women in my life who held my hands and encouraged me in my walk with Christ.

So LORD, whose hand do I need to hold?

No comments: