Monday, January 21, 2013

I Kick Myself...

So if you didn't know, I am a runner.  But something I have found out in the last 3 months is that sometimes I literally kick myself when I run.  It's not something super noticeable in my stride but when I wear long pants with a zipper at the ankle I find my ankle bleeding because during the run I have kicked my right ankle with my left foot causing the zipper to scrape my ankle.  The actual act of kicking myself seems funny to me because shouldn't my one foot know the other foot is right there and avoid hitting it...guess I'm not that coordinated after all.

Anyway I bring this up because sometimes I figuratively kick myself as well (like the saying goes).  I kick myself when I'm not more careful with the words that come out of my mouth.  I say things I shouldn't, I gossip, I say things without thinking, I say things when I should be silent, I say random things to be funny...or I say things to look holy so my motives are all wrong. Trust me, missionaries are still human and I praise God that His grace and forgiveness abounds.  In those moments when I do kick myself, I pray I would humbly seek the Lord's face for forgiveness and if my words have been charged against someone than I seek their forgiveness as well. 

In the last week God has brought to my attention numerous verses that deal with my words.  The verses speak to the fact that guess what...your words = your heart! (Luke 6:45, Matt 12:34, Matt 15:11) If your heart is filled up with the things of God then your words will follow.  The more I am intentional with the words I choose, the more I'm allowing the Holy Spirit to fill up my heart and choose the words He wants me to use.  I want my words to show that my heart is overflowing with the love of my Savior and my life is submitted to Him.  Our words are meant to build each other up, not tear down.  

I know I'll still kick myself literally and figuratively in the future...I just hope, in God's strength and leading, I am able to kick myself a little less with my word choice.

God be praised for how He uses His Word to mold and shape us today!

No comments: