Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"When do you leave next?"

I can't believe how fast April flew by...granted I did the math today and...

I resided in 4 states (including Louisiana)
slept in 7 houses (including 2 dorm rooms)
drove 3 cars that didn't belong to me (without having to rent them from a rental place)
visited 3 colleges
flew/drove hundreds of miles to see numerous friends God has provided in my life

During this month I also completed my last training for long term missionary service...so I am officially official now! This is Katie Hooks, long term missionary with EFCA, writing this blog post!  Praise the Lord.

I look back over this process and sometimes still can't believe this is where God has me.  I submitted the application for long term in June 2011. I was invited to the Readiness Event in August 2011, attended the Readiness Event in October 2011, and now in April 2012, I have completed all of my trainings.  God really had his hand on me throughout this process...even how quickly my support came in shows this is where God wants me.

One of the topics we spoke about in my last training was spiritual warfare.  There is a battle going on and right now I believe it's going on in my mind.  Ever since I've come back to NOLA, something heavy has been sitting on me, almost discouraging me from anything positive.  I share this because I know I'm not the only one who feels like this and I also recognize the power of prayer. 

One thought I will share I'm having to fight is the thought that I'm not really involved in God's work in New Orleans because I travel.  This by far is the most popular question asked of me right now: "So Katie, how long you around this time?" or "When do you leave next?"  I'm afraid I'm starting to be known as the girl who is never here.  Don't get me wrong, I love traveling but I think right now it's starting to weigh on me.

I do also know that every time I do leave, it's because of how much I love New Orleans and the work God is doing here.  I go out to proclaim Christ and His Kingdom being built in New Orleans so more will know and bring glory to God.  I have to remember that every time I travel, it's a chance to spread the news about how God is working in New Orleans which in turn makes me involved.  I also recognize that the time I have in NOLA is a gift and to make the most of it...seeing friends, going on prayer walks, doing the occasional manual labor, chatting with neighbors, etc. It's all a gift!  

Please pray for me as my traveling days aren't up yet; in fact, I'm gone 2 weeks in May.  Pray I would have contentment and joy no matter where I am.  Pray that as I go, I wouldn't feel like I'm leaving New Orleans but getting to share with everyone about God's work here.  Pray I allow God to fight the battles in my mind and I wouldn't allow the enemy to gain a foothold.

Thanks for reading and praying!
Katie :)

"For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory." Deuteronomy 20:4

You are my King and my God,
    who decrees victories for Jacob.
Through you we push back our enemies;
    through your name we trample our foes.
I put no trust in my bow,
    my sword does not bring me victory;
but you give us victory over our enemies,
    you put our adversaries to shame.
  In God we make our boast all day long,
    and we will praise your name forever.
 Psalm 44:4-8

No comments: