Thursday, May 15, 2014

Keeping My Eyes Open!

One thing I have been reflecting on since our trip up north is that when we were there, we saw God at work everywhere, even in the tiny details!  We saw Him in the people we met, the conversations we had, the places He put us, God was in it all!  We saw people's eyes opened to the Gospel and we had a willingness to step out of our comfort zones to talk to people we had never met.

So coming back home to New Orleans, I was wondering, is God at work here?  I know He is at work but it's harder to see here on my home turf.  Maybe it's because I'm back to my normal routine, working, seeing friends, going to church, getting groceries, and I'm not looking for Him to be in those places.  But again, I know He's here. He's everywhere and He's intentional with His plans so I know He's working around me to see those plans come to fruition. 

Maybe you know what I'm talking about.  When we go on a mission trip, we're expecting God to be there, to use us, to work in amazing ways and yet, we don't have that same expectation of the same God when we're at home in our day to day lives.  I'm definitely feeling convicted about this and that I should have these expectations everywhere I am and especially here in my city. 

I have been challenged to look for God right where I am.  And sure enough, God provided a framing job for Mark the week we got back from our trip.  And even though his car is broke down, God has provided the vehicles he's needed for the job and for us to get around.  We're continuing to build relationships with our neighbors even though they don't sit out on their front porches like most of New Orleans neighbors.  I'm thankful every time I catch a neighbor outside (oh yes I'm serious).  But I know God is doing more and even though I can't see it, I have to trust that He is at work.  I need to expect God to work and keep my eyes open to seeing Him at work.  I know I can't see everything He's up to with my two little eyes but I have to keep looking.

Seeing God at work, catching Him in the tiny details, turns into adoration and praise to God.  It reminds me that my day to day life is not about me but all about HIM!  It reminds me that God is bigger than me and He has a plan!

"and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us." 
Acts 17:26b-27

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8-9

1 comment:

Loralee said...

Another beautiful message.

I like this line..."I know I can't see everything He's up to with my two little eyes but I have to keep looking."

So true. He is always up to something!

This made me laugh..." I'm thankful every time I catch a neighbor outside (oh yes I'm serious)."